PMI-ACP Certification Prep
Duration: 1 day (it is recommended for this course to be taken with a CSM, CSPO or KMP class; check out our 3-day combination class here)
Outcome: Prepared to take the PMI-ACP exam (see certification requirements below)
Required Reading: Scrum 101: A Pocket Guide
PMI-ACP Certification Prep — Overview
At 3Back, we understand the importance of credentials and certifications. For this reason, 3Back instructors have played a pivotal role in the development of the PMI-ACP certification, from participating in the PMI-ACP exam steering committee to authoring Exploring Scrum: The Fundamentals, the primary Scrum-specific text which PMI chose to use as reference for the exam.
This 1-day PMI-ACP Prep course is designed to prepare students to take the PMI-ACP exam offered by PMI. When paired with a 2-day CSM, CSPO or KMP course, this class will fulfill PMI’s prerequisite of 21 contact hours of agile instruction. [If you would like to enroll in a 3-day combination class (CSM + PMI-ACP prep) to fulfill all 21 contact hours, please go here.]
What You’ll Get
- PMI Contact Hours – Completion of the PMI-ACP Exam Prep class will result in 7 contact hours, which may be used toward PMI’s mandatory 21 contact hours of agile training required for eligibility to take the PMI-ACP exam. If taken in conjunction with one of our CSM, CSPO or KMP classes, all 21 contact hours will be received. (To fulfill all 21 contact hours, please enroll in our 3-day combination class.)
- Exam Preparation – Step into your PMI-ACP exam with confidence! Through extensive study, exercises and sample tests, this course will fully prepare you to sit for the PMI-ACP certification exam.
- FREE agile tool Get To Done® – As a 3Back course participant, you’ll receive free lifetime access* to the agile planning and implementation tool Get To Done® (a value of $60 per year). *Access expires if account remains inactive for 12 consecutive months.
- A Fun and Memorable Learning Experience – This course is not your usual classroom training. Our trainers use cutting edge adult learning practices, which not only make the class enjoyable, but are proven to increase retention and understanding.
PMI-ACP Application and Certification
In order to apply to become a PMI-ACP, PMI requires the following (please note, these are not required to take the course, but will be required to apply for the certification):
- 2,000 hours of general project experience working on teams. A current PMP® or PgMP® will satisfy this requirement but is not required to apply for the PMI-ACP.
- 1,500 hours working on agile project teams or with agile methodologies. This requirement is in addition to the 2,000 hours of general project experience.
- 21 contact hours of training in agile practices. The PMI-ACP Prep class will count toward 7 of these contact hours. (If you need to fulfill all 21 contact hours, please consider our 3-day combination class.)
Once PMI has accepted and approved your PMI-ACP application, you will be eligible to schedule and take the PMI-ACP exam. The certification exam has 120 multiple-choice questions and must be completed within three hours.
Once you receive your PMI-ACP certification, you must maintain your certification by earning 30 professional development units (PDUs) in agile topics every three years.
For more information about the PMI-ACP requirements and certification, please visit http://www.pmi.org/certification/agile-management-acp.aspx.
Why Become PMI-ACP Certified?
If you’re experienced using agile approaches, have good collaboration skills, eagerly embrace complexity and thrive on rapid response times, then your talents are in demand. The PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)® formally recognizes your knowledge of agile principles and your skill with agile techniques. It will make you shine even brighter to your employers, stakeholders and peers.
The PMI-ACP® is PMI’s fastest growing certification, and it’s no wonder. Organizations that are highly agile and responsive to market dynamics complete more of their projects successfully than their slower-moving counterparts — 75 percent versus 56 percent — as shown in PMI’s 2015 Pulse of the Profession® report.
Need more reasons?
- Increase your versatility! The PMI-ACP spans many approaches to agile such as Scrum, Kanban, Lean, extreme programming (XP) and test-driven development (TDD)
- Currently, more than 80% of projects are done using an agile methodology
- PMI-ACP is the fastest growing PMI certification in the world
- Prove your experience and knowledge with this internationally recognized credential
- A tangible and successful step toward your professional growth in terms of salary and role
- Highly demanded certification from recruiters and hiring managers
- Build your profile as an agile project manager
This 1-day training provides extensive study, exercises and sample tests. The course will cover the recommended and approved syllabus published by PMI on its website:
Domain I. Agile Principles and Mindset
Domain II. Value-driven Delivery
Domain III. Stakeholder Engagement
Domain IV. Team Performance
Domain V. Adaptive Planning
Domain VI. Problem Detection and Resolution
Domain VII. Continuous Improvement (Product, Process, People)
Who Should Attend?
The PMI-ACP Prep course should be taken by anyone planning to take the PMI-ACP exam.
The PMI-ACP certification is a good choice for candidates working on agile teams or in organizations adopting agile practices. Compared with other agile certifications based solely on training and exams, the PMI-ACP is evidence of real-world, hands-on experience and skill. The PMI-ACP certification is ideal for:
- Certified ScrumMasters who want to boost their career
- Senior Managers responsible for managing agile teams
- Product Owners managing scope and project plans using product backlogs and release plans
- Project and Product Managers working on agile projects