Prerequisites: CSM, CSPO, or a strong understanding of the Scrum framework
Outcome: Tools and techniques for scaling Scrum across your organization
Duration: 1 day
Required Reading: Scrum 101: A Pocket Guide
Scaling Scrum with Scrum™ – Overview
Scrum is the world’s most common, and now most popular, Agile development framework. Successful Scrum is based on Patterns that are used in and with the Scrum framework. 3Back’s Scaling Scrum with Scrum™ (SSwS) course explores some of these Patterns, including:
- Fundamental Patterns – explaining how and why Scrum works
- Basic Scaling Patterns – extending Scrum from one Team to an entire organization
How Hard Can Scaling Be?
Building a successful Well-Formed Scrum Team can be a difficult yet rewarding endeavor. But what happens when one Team isn’t enough? Let’s face it, most of today’s projects are just too large for one Scrum Team to tackle alone. This causes a need for many organizations to scale the Scrum framework.
Scaling is never easy. Whether scaling your family, business or Scrum implementation, complications have a way of growing exponentially alongside your efforts. Understanding the complexities of multi-Team environments and communication is critical to the successful scaling of Scrum.
3Back’s expert trainers understand that a one-size-fits-all approach is implausible for each unique circumstance and environment. Therefore, Scaling Scrum with Scrum™ is designed to provide guidance in the form of repeatable Patterns that can be adapted and applied to nearly any organization. In addition to these SSwS Patterns, students will examine two popular scaling methods, the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) and Large Scale Scrum (LeSS) from a Pattern-based perspective.
Scaling Scrum with Scrum™ – Agenda
This 1-day intensive training class is comprised of facilitated discussion and activities designed to explore the patterns and techniques behind successfully scaling Scrum across organizations of varying size. The following topics will be covered:
- Traditional Scrum vs. Modern Scrum
- Difficult Work requires Well-Formed Teams
- Product Ownership isn’t so Simple
- Don’t Overload Decision-Makers
- Leadership Teams
- Distribution Team
- Consolidation Team
- Program Team
- Communication Teams
- Cross-Cutting Workgroups
- I&E Team (Integration & Evaluation)
- SAFe (Scaled Agile Framework), LeSS (Large Scale Scrum), and other methods
- What can we learn from these methods?
- Common strengths and weaknesses
Scaling Scrum with Scrum™ – Outcomes
- Comprehension of basic patterns found in Scrum
- Understanding of Scrum application to the non-development side of Program and Project Management
- Ability to recognize the two primary impediments to scaling
- Utilization of Program Scrum Teams to manage scaled projects
- Familiarity with basic and enterprise scaling patterns
- Understanding Structural Patterns (how to assemble humans into Teams)
- Understanding Governance Patterns (communications and decision-making)
- Recognition of backlogs as tools to facilitate decision-making, not replace thinking
- Heightened focus on “having the right people having the right conversations at the right time”
Who Should Attend?
Scaling Scrum with Scrum™ is designed for individuals who will be engaged in the widespread implementation of Scrum across the organization. This workshop is appropriate for those involved in your organization’s scaling initiative, whether from a strategic, tactical, or support position. We strongly recommend this workshop for the following: