Are Placeholder Stories Ok?
- A placeholder story is a sign of sloppy planning
- All work should be known ahead of time and planned during sprint planning
- Yes, this allows the Product Owner to dump things into the sprint as needed.
- Sometimes we have a history of unexpected bugs/issues of handle it now. This allows us to track how much of that is showing up and leave some slack for when it does.
- We often have work we know we will have to do but, don’t know what it is yet.
Comment: This is a way to track how much unknown work is showing up and manage the amount by triggering a conversation when needed. One of the most common issues for scrum teams is what to do about work that we expect to have to do during a Sprint, but don’t actually know the details about yet, such as bugs we have to fix in existing systems, or expected sales support efforts. Using Place holder stories is a a method to manage these “known unknowns”.